In this bonus episode of the Uncharted podcast:
What should you be doing right now to prepare your clinic for, or deal with, COVID-19? Dr. Andy Roark and Stephanie Goss break it down into actionable steps.
10 COVID-19 Action Steps Your Clinic Can Take RIGHT NOW
- Survey your team to determine who might be in a high-risk situation & who could be affected by school closure.
- Develop an updated hospital cleaning policy (especially in exam rooms).
- Stock up on supplies and have a plan on how to get more if needed.
- Clearly state your sick policy to your staff. When should they stay home?
- Cross-train and write down protocols – share information to increase staffing flexibility.
- Develop a plan for a positive COVID-19 test among your staff/clients.
- Develop a plan for fluctuations in your business (either increased or decreased caseload).
- Waiting room management – minimize people spending time here. Update cleaning protocols.
- Provide access to information and support to clients that doesn’t involve them coming in (phone, text, telemedicine, blog, social media, etc.).
- Train your staff to answer client questions about COVID-19 and their pets.
To help you find the most up-to-date and relevant information on COVID-19, here are some resources we trust:
Information from the AVMA on how to address the COVID-19 virus from a veterinary standpoint: https://www.avma.org/resources-tools/animal-health-and-welfare/covid-19
WSAVA Addresses Coronavirus: https://wsava.org/news/highlighted-news/the-new-coronavirus-and-companion-animals-advice-for-wsava-members/
CDC on animals/pets (in the FAQ section): https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html