“What do you do when your boss eye rolls whenever you bring up life balance? His pupils honestly disappear into the back of his head.”
Most of us understand the need for life balance. We all need to unplug and recharge sometimes. Coming to that realization isn’t much of a struggle for most of us (although some perfectionists really struggle with it). What is a challenge almost all of us is getting the people we work with to recognize our need for life balance and respect it. After all, everyone wants you to have life balance… until it means you won’t be coming to help them when they are panicking.
In this episode, Dr. Andy Roark and practice manager Stephanie Goss break down the hard truths of life balance and why your boss/staff don’t want to hear about it. They unpack what is productive to say, what is not, and how you can generally get much more by saying much less.
Key themes include:
– Life balance is generally a poor description of what most of us are seeking
– Thinking of balance as ocean tides is often more helpful
– For you, life balance happened 6 months ago
– Why talking about life balance is generally a bad idea
– When to take time for you vs when to back up your team
– Recharging vs. the Golden Rule
– What to say about life balance and how to say it
If you like this podcast and would like to go deeper, consider becoming an Uncharted member and joining our community. Learn more at www.UnchartedVet.com